The new Caribbean film Hero: the amazing story of Squadron Leader Ulric Cross premieres at the BFI Southbank on 18th May 2pm.
In honour of this screening we present 90 minutes of the history of the many other Black RAF aircrew who served in both World War 1 and World War 2.
We will cover:
- Black pilots from Barbados, Jamaica, Haiti, St Lucia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, USA, Turkey, Ethiopia and more
- Red Tails the movie, fact, fiction and Hollywood resistance to positive black stories
- The World War 1 pilot who became a nightclub owner and World War 2 spy
- Black female pilots and their hidden histories
- The African air bases that supported the RAF in WW2
- The secret African route that helped Britain win the war in the ‘Middle East’
Date and Time
Fri, 3 May 2019 19:00 – 21:00
The Blue Room